Sunday 22 March 2015

Survival Horror Genre

When thinking about how I felt about the The Evil Within and it being considered a survival horror game. I want to agree that is a survival horror game but at the same time I don’t think it is. Now when I say that I say it from the first time I played through the game. After the first few chapters the fear of being killed and the scarce amount of bullets didn’t really matter to me at the point. I knew in any situation I was in, in that game I had several options in which guaranteed my survival and not making me really scared more so tense about getting hit but never dyeing. The reason why I do agree that it’s a survival horror is just the absolute difficulty the hardest difficulty provides making you rethink all the strategies you have had before.

 Now with the fear out of the way from the game I wasn’t even scared it was just the enjoyment of the game and story, but to me what made it the “survival horror” experience cheapen is that by the end of the game there’s monsters with guns. And to me it just makes the monsters and creatures/humanoid beings not that scary at all. And not just in The Evil Within. Another survival horror game which to personally nailed it was Dead Space. That game made you feel like you were never safe that at any moment you’re going to die a slow and painful death. Even with the Sequel it still felt like survival horror but toned down compared to the first one. Then comes the dreaded 3rd sequel Dead Space 3. Now to me for people to say this game is survival horror but this game is a so far from the idea of survival horror. With a lot of the enemies having guns and the game feeling like it’s a discount call of duty.


Now about survival horror as a whole I think it’s been on an incline for the past few years. With games like Outlast and the demo for Silent Hills; PT now those games are what I have considered to be survival horror. I think as a genre on console gaming’s it’s a dying breed but on PC there’s a bunch of great survival horror on there. But as for console gaming I feel like survival horror is just not there for the masses. And is slowly becoming a niche market in which kind of saddens me.

1 comment: