Sunday 22 March 2015

Down Right Fight 2015

On March 21st 2015 there was a huge tournament at Sheridan in Oakville at the Trafalgar campus. This tournament had a various amount competitive games. The main games at the event was Ultra Street Fighter 4, Guilty Gear Xrd and Super Smash Bros Melee 1v1. And with these 3 games there was a add $100 pot bonus to each of those games. Now with a 10$ entry fee for each of these games the pot sizes were high. Among these 3 games there were other games with a $5 entry fee. Those games were: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Smash Bros Melee 2v2, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Project M, and Super Smash Bros Wii U
.
Now the tournament itself was pretty disorganized. I entered Melee singles, Melee doubles, and Project M. Don’t get me wrong the tournament was a really fun time and I had a good time as well as my friends who entered except for you know… 2 of the tournament’s being canceled. That is what brings me to say this tournament was disorganize. Melee singles was supposed to start at 1 PM pools didn’t even start until 2:30pm and that wasn’t even the bracket tournament. The legit tournament roughly started at maybe 5 or earlier I wasn’t too sure of the time but it was just off schedule. What made me really upset about the whole tournament itself was that they disqualified one of the top players in Marvel Vs Capcom because of their own timing faults. While he was playing his Melee Matches they called for him only twice in which I told them he was playing a match in Melee and it will only take 5-10 minutes. They ended up disqualifying him as soon as I went upstairs to tell him to hurry the match up. He got his money back after having an argument with the TO’s but they said to him to only enter 1 tournament next time. Why even give the option to enter all then?

So with Project M being canceled which really did suck because I had the chance to possible make top 8. They canceled it near the end of the Project M bracket. Causing the pay out of the money to the people who were still in the tournament. Which doesn't sound too bad for me. I won $10 but my friends who would have placed 1st and 2nd got ripped off only got paid $30. Melee Doubles got canceled in which that tournament didn’t even happen.

Through all of this happening Melee Singles is still going on going straight to 9:50PM and its Losers Finals and there’s only 3 players left in the whole tournament. They sit down to play the match but the thing is the power was going to cut out at 10 PM. So they couldn’t even finish their set. Bright side though that the top 3 were paid out. The player who was going to be in grand finals got paid $400 and my friend who I believe would have taken 1st if the matches got played out got $200. Still a large amount of money but it could have been more.


I do believe this tournament was run really well from the Super Smash Bros TO's, They were doing the best they could with an influx of entrants which wasnt predicted. It was really just the timing of everything and I’m assuming they didn’t account for Melee to have over 80 entrants. Which far surpassed any of the other tournaments that wasn’t Melee and Project M. But thankfully for the next tournament they will have a dedicated tournament just for Smash in which I’m thoroughly excited for. All I know is that I got made $10 so overall I’m very happy.

2 comments: